[G3XBM] Dayton Hamvention 2019. Few new products?
Stephen Thomas Cole
2019-05-19 10:14:09 UTC
In many countries it[1] is an "old mans" hobby with fewer
buyers, so a diminishing market.
[1] Amateur Radio
Why is this kind of wailing trotted out time and again?
The RSGB, in Members Survey after Members Survey, covering decades, the
RSGB has found that the 'Average Amateur' is a sixty-year-old bloke who
works HF CW and builds things. This doesn't fit, never fitted, and never
will fit, the 'youth is everything' politically-correct ethos which
which the hobby/service is continually bombarded.
All the blood and treasure that has been expended on the RSGB's various
'youth programmes' has resulted, according to their own data, in the
merest blip on the membership graphs.
If the manufacturers went bust, we'd have to (shock, horror) build our
own gear or adapt gear from other services. No more M3 shacks with gear
costing £20k, and perhaps that isn't a bad thing.
It always amuses me to see Burt’s first instinct on a new day is to go on
the internet to have a whine about young people. Those little scamps on his
estate, the car aerial snappers, they gave Poor Old Burt a hell of a
complex and no mistake.
--
STC / M0TEY / People’s Champion 2018
http://twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Roger Hayter
2019-05-19 15:05:30 UTC
[...]
The way I read it he is not complaining about young people, just the
lack of them. And the M3s with disposable income are clearly middle
aged people.
Roger Hayter
Comrade Coff
2019-05-19 15:14:49 UTC
On 19 May 2019 15:10:47 GMT
I shall be sorry to see High Streets dying, bricks and mortar
retailing going the way of the buggy whip, libraries closing and
membership societies of all kinds consumed by the Internet. Except
for amateur radio. The faster that dies, the better. And it'll be
quite soon, judging by the "get off my lawn" attitudes of the
obviously aged old farts posting here. Average radio ham over 60?
Good.
YEah, their a bunch of Caunts.
Radio Mechanical Electrical
totly
Comrade Coff
2019-05-19 15:48:06 UTC
On Sun, 19 May 2019 16:16:35 +0100
Post by Comrade Coff
On 19 May 2019 15:10:47 GMT
I shall be sorry to see High Streets dying, bricks and mortar
retailing going the way of the buggy whip, libraries closing and
membership societies of all kinds consumed by the Internet. Except
for amateur radio. The faster that dies, the better. And it'll be
quite soon, judging by the "get off my lawn" attitudes of the
obviously aged old farts posting here. Average radio ham over 60?
Good.
YEah, their a bunch of Caunts.
totly
I thawt of taking the m3 but im glad i didunt Now....i wood of hated
myself
Radio Mechanical Electrical
you would have ....
Stephen Thomas Cole
2019-05-20 06:20:27 UTC
Post by Roger Hayter
[...]
Are you really suggesting, Rog, that Burt, of all people, wants *more*
young people?