RFD: uk.rec.radio.cb
Paul Cummins
2018-12-04 21:43:43 UTC

REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)

This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the following changes
in the uk.* Usenet hierarchy:

delete newsgroup uk.rec.radio.cb

Newsgroup line:
uk.rec.radio.cb General discussion of Citizens' Band Radio in the UK

*** ALL DISCUSSION MUST TAKE PLACE IN UK.NET.NEWS.CONFIG ***

This is not a Call for Votes (CFV); you cannot vote at this time.
Further procedural details are given below.

RATIONALE: uk.rec.radio.cb

It has long been custom within uk.* to check for groups that are not
being used and then to remove them. By doing this we keep the number of
dead groups down increasing the chances that someone stumbling across a
group will find it useful.

An analysis of the posts to uk.rec.radio.cb from 2018-01-01 to
2018-11-30 has shown that there were six posts, one of which was a "Dr
death" prompt, three were responses, and two spam, in this period. Prior
to the proponent asking about usage, the most recent posting was in April
2017.

It is not the intention to remove any groups that are, or people
believe will be, useful going forward. If you are a user of the group
and feel it should remain then please reply to this and join the debate
on uk.net.news.config so I know not to press ahead with this.

CHARTER:
uk.rec.radio.cb

Charter of uk.rec.radio.cb (Not Moderated)

uk.radio.cb is a group aimed at wide ranging discussion relating to the
purchasing and use of all types of CB radio equipment, antennas and
accessories in the UK.

Advertising
Genuinely private advertising of CB related equipment is allowed but
commercial advertising is not permitted, with the following exception:
Suppliers of relevant CB goods and services may post a brief pointer to
their web sites or invitations to request information. These notices may
not exceed four lines and may be posted no more often than once per month
per advertiser. The subject line of such commercial notices must begin
"AD:" or "ADVERT:"

Binaries
The posting of binary files is not permitted but directions on where
relevant binaries may be found are welcome. Postings must be in plain
text and may not contain HTML. Binaries include executable code or images
such as JPEG and GIF, whether in 8 bit or UUENCODED or in MIME. PGP
signatures are permitted.

END CHARTER

PROCEDURE:

This is a request for discussion, not a call for votes. In this phase of
the process, any potential problems with the proposal should be raised
and resolved. The discussion period will continue for a minimum of 10
days, starting from when this RFD is posted to uk.net.news.announce
(i.e. until December 15th) after which a Call For Votes (CFV) may be
posted by a neutral vote taker if the discussion warrants it.
Alternatively, the proposal may proceed by the fast-track method. Please
do not attempt to vote until this happens.

This RFD attempts to comply fully with the "Guidelines for Group Creation
within the UK Hierarchy" as published regularly in uk.net.news.announce
and is available from http://www.usenet.org.uk/guidelines.html (the UK
Usenet website). Please refer to this document if you have any questions
about the process.

DISTRIBUTION:

This RFD has been posted to the following newsgroups:
uk.net.news.announce
uk.net.news.config
uk.rec.radio.cb

Proponent:
Paul Cummins <***@tiscali.co.uk>
Stephen Thomas Cole
2018-12-04 22:25:45 UTC
Post by Paul Cummins
REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the following changes
delete newsgroup uk.rec.radio.cb
Agree, we can delete this group as ukra is the natural home for Childish
Broadcasting.
--
STC / M0TEY / People’s Champion 2018
http://twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Bernie
2018-12-04 22:32:46 UTC
On 4 Dec 2018 22:25:45 GMT
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by Paul Cummins
REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the following
delete newsgroup uk.rec.radio.cb
Agree, we can delete this group as ukra is the natural home for
Childish Broadcasting.
Disagree, there's no compelling need for the deletion of any group(s).

It's just wankers like Scummins trying to wield some power.
Stephen Thomas Cole
2018-12-05 00:44:09 UTC
Post by Bernie
On 4 Dec 2018 22:25:45 GMT
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by Paul Cummins
REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the following
delete newsgroup uk.rec.radio.cb
Agree, we can delete this group as ukra is the natural home for
Childish Broadcasting.
Disagree, there's no compelling need for the deletion of any group(s).
It's just wankers like Scummins trying to wield some power.
Yeah, I know, but I wanted to say “childish broadcasting”.
Roger Hayter
2018-12-05 01:33:12 UTC
Post by Bernie
On 4 Dec 2018 22:25:45 GMT
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by Paul Cummins
REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the following
delete newsgroup uk.rec.radio.cb
Agree, we can delete this group as ukra is the natural home for
Childish Broadcasting.
Disagree, there's no compelling need for the deletion of any group(s).
It's just wankers like Scummins trying to wield some power.
Yeah, I know, but I wanted to say "childish broadcasting".
There may sometimes be a positive case for deleting groups if they are
completely unused and their existence leads people to incorrecly think
the named subject has no home on uk.*. For instance, if there were an
active uk.rec.radio group which cb could be discussed in, seeing the
current group being empty might lead to the new user (!) missing the
active discussion.

And I would find it hard to object to the removal of a completely unused
group. Currently I have no opinion about this RFD but will watch the
discussion with interest.
Roger Hayter
Bernie
2018-12-05 16:26:41 UTC
On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 01:33:12 +0000
Post by Roger Hayter
Post by Bernie
On 4 Dec 2018 22:25:45 GMT
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by Paul Cummins
[...]
"Delete them and they will come." Heard that one before, but never
seen any evidence of it doing anything. It's just destruction for
destruction's sake AND most of the committee were voted in on a "vote
for me and I'll do nothing" ticket.

It ain't broke; why the fuck do you want to fix it?
brian
2018-12-05 17:55:50 UTC
Post by Bernie
On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 01:33:12 +0000
Post by Roger Hayter
Post by Bernie
On 4 Dec 2018 22:25:45 GMT
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by Paul Cummins
[...]
It needs some blogs. That's how the rec.radio.* groups escape the Big 8
Grim Reaper.

Brian
Brian Howie
Bernie
2018-12-05 22:08:46 UTC
On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 17:55:50 +0000
Post by brian
Post by Bernie
On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 01:33:12 +0000
Post by Roger Hayter
Post by Bernie
On 4 Dec 2018 22:25:45 GMT
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by Paul Cummins
[...]
The cure is worse than the disease.

At least Giganews will ignore the committee, thankfully.
Roger Hayter
2018-12-06 00:46:42 UTC
Post by Bernie
On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 17:55:50 +0000
Post by brian
Post by Bernie
On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 01:33:12 +0000
Post by Roger Hayter
Post by Bernie
On 4 Dec 2018 22:25:45 GMT
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by Paul Cummins
[...]
I first thought you meant blog posts are worse than disuse, and I would
have agreed with you there.
Post by Bernie
At least Giganews will ignore the committee, thankfully.
True, but the Committee would only be rubber-stamping the electorate's
decision, you seem to want to blame them for deletions. Anyone can
propose RFDs and they tend to be implemented unless anyone objects, or
if they win a vote.
Roger Hayter
brian
2018-12-06 07:55:52 UTC
Post by Roger Hayter
Post by Bernie
On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 17:55:50 +0000
Post by brian
It needs some blogs. That's how the rec.radio.* groups escape the Big
8 Grim Reaper.
Brian
The cure is worse than the disease.
I first thought you meant blog posts are worse than disuse, and I would
have agreed with you there.
Yes they are and I think they make matters worse as any real posts are
lost in the noise.

Brian
Brian Howie
Roger Hayter
2018-12-06 00:46:41 UTC
Post by Bernie
On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 01:33:12 +0000
Post by Roger Hayter
Post by Bernie
On 4 Dec 2018 22:25:45 GMT
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by Paul Cummins
[...]
The Committee have been generally non-interventionist, and most people
elected have stood on this platform. But then again the Committee
plays no part in such RFDs as this one, except adjudicating on disputes
over process. But this does not (and has not in past) stopped
individual committee members making proposals such as this on their own
behalf, just like any user can.

So really the Committee is a red herring and nothing to do with the
current proposal
Post by Bernie
It ain't broke; why the fuck do you want to fix it?
A point of view, but nothing whatever to do with the Committtee.
Roger Hayter
Stephen Thomas Cole
2018-12-06 08:17:50 UTC
Post by Roger Hayter
Post by Bernie
On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 01:33:12 +0000
Post by Roger Hayter
Post by Bernie
On 4 Dec 2018 22:25:45 GMT
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by Paul Cummins
[...]
Yes, I agree that many members of the Committee use the “do nothing” trick
to cynically abdicate moral responsibility as and when it suits them. Good
point well made, Rog.
Bernie
2018-12-05 16:25:06 UTC
On 5 Dec 2018 00:44:09 GMT
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by Bernie
On 4 Dec 2018 22:25:45 GMT
Post by Stephen Thomas Cole
Post by Paul Cummins
REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the following
delete newsgroup uk.rec.radio.cb
Agree, we can delete this group as ukra is the natural home for
Childish Broadcasting.
Disagree, there's no compelling need for the deletion of any
group(s).
It's just wankers like Scummins trying to wield some power.
Yeah, I know, but I wanted to say “childish broadcasting”.
Scummins got an answer within hours and another the following day -
doesn't look empty to me.
IC Millionaires
I'm with you. I see no need for the deletion of this group or any other.
Matthew Vernon
2018-12-05 11:23:07 UTC
Post by Paul Cummins
delete newsgroup uk.rec.radio.cb
Looks dead to me, so I'd be happy to see it go.

Matthew
--
`O'-----0 `O'---. `O'---. `O'---.
\___| | \___|0-/ \___|/ \___|
The Dangers of modern veterinary life
Charles Lindsey
2018-12-05 11:38:05 UTC
Post by Matthew Vernon
Post by Paul Cummins
delete newsgroup uk.rec.radio.cb
Looks dead to me, so I'd be happy to see it go.
Matthew
Me2, unless some former user of the group pops his head up.
--
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At my New Home, still doing my own thing-----------
Tel: +44 161 488 1845 Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
PGP: 2C15F1A9 Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5
Molly Mockford
2018-12-05 18:21:16 UTC
Post by Charles Lindsey
Post by Matthew Vernon
                      delete newsgroup uk.rec.radio.cb
Looks dead to me, so I'd be happy to see it go.
Matthew
Me2, unless some former user of the group pops his head up.
I've subscribed and taken a look, and it does seem to be an ex-parrot.
--
Molly Mockford
I do not speak on behalf of the Committee.
If and when I do, I will say so explicitly.
Mike Fleming
Mike Fleming
Brian Morrison
2018-12-05 11:41:16 UTC
On Tue, 04 Dec 2018 21:43:43 +0000
Post by Paul Cummins
Prior
to the proponent asking about usage, the most recent posting was in
April 2017.
Looks essentially dead to me, would not object to removal.
Brian
Huge
2018-12-06 10:20:09 UTC
Post by Paul Cummins
delete newsgroup uk.rec.radio.cb
Seems, at first sight, entirely sensible. It looks dead, and there's a
certain "neatness" about usenet tidying up after itself as it dies.

[79 lines snipped]
And there's the rub.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 48th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3184
~ Stercus accidit ~
Judith in England
2018-12-06 12:05:50 UTC
Post by Huge
Post by Paul Cummins
delete newsgroup uk.rec.radio.cb
Seems, at first sight, entirely sensible. It looks dead, and there's a
certain "neatness" about usenet tidying up after itself as it dies.
[79 lines snipped]
And there's the rub.
Indeed : I'll vote against it - anything that the fuckwit Cummins is for
looses my support.
Paul Cummins
2018-12-07 11:34:00 UTC
Post by Judith in England
Indeed : I'll vote against it - anything that the fuckwit Cummins
is for looses my support
Maybe settle on a single sock puppet first?
--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981
Santa Claus
2018-12-26 19:14:36 UTC
How many do you have?
Paul Cummins
2018-12-27 13:18:00 UTC
Post by Santa Claus
Post by Paul Cummins
Maybe settle on a single sock puppet first?
How many do you have?
Despite claims by others, none.
brian
2018-12-06 12:54:11 UTC
Post by Huge
Post by Paul Cummins
delete newsgroup uk.rec.radio.cb
Seems, at first sight, entirely sensible. It looks dead, and there's a
certain "neatness" about usenet tidying up after itself as it dies.
The decline seems to have bottomed out

http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/spoolstats/uk.html

Were all the uk.local.* Groups deleted ?

Brian
Brian Howie
Huge
2018-12-06 17:01:51 UTC
Post by brian
Post by Huge
Post by Paul Cummins
delete newsgroup uk.rec.radio.cb
Seems, at first sight, entirely sensible. It looks dead, and there's a
certain "neatness" about usenet tidying up after itself as it dies.
The decline seems to have bottomed out
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/spoolstats/uk.html
That's quite encouraging. We should still delete dead groups, though.
Post by brian
Were all the uk.local.* Groups deleted ?
Not *all* of them ...

uk.local.geordie 16 48K 18
uk.local.yorkshire 0.1 477 1
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 48th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3184
~ Stercus accidit ~
brian
2018-12-09 19:58:30 UTC
Post by Huge
Post by brian
Post by brian
Were all the uk.local.* Groups deleted ?
Not *all* of them ...
uk.local.geordie 16 48K 18
uk.local.yorkshire 0.1 477 1
A lot of them don't appear in the stats but are on da list.

http://www.usenet.org.uk/newsgroups.html

The ones I looked at are still there though but full of spam.

Brian
--
Brian Howie