Sic Transit Gloria Mundi (Was : Re: Leixen VV-898- Mic connector weakness?)
Stephen Cole
2019-06-23 15:58:50 UTC
On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 14:27:01 +0100
On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 13:56:00 +0100
 During a recent visit to a relative who is fairly new to the
hobby, he showed me a Leixen VV-898 with a very worn mic socket.
The radio was bought new, hasn't been used much (it was kept a
static caravan for use there), nor has it any signs of rough
handling etc.
While I accept these are cheap radios, almost in the 'throw away'
price class, I find it hard to believe such a standard component
as an RJ45 socket is something you can save much on by buying poor
quality ones.
Another radio, owned by the same amateur for longer, and used
regularly, doesn't show similar wear.
This drags me towards wondering if Leixen  have a mountain of
cheap/poor sockets and others have the same issue- specifically
the area where the latching tab locks wearing away.
I've brought the radio to the 'OSN shack with the intention of
replacing the connector- I'm just hoping the PCB is up to being
reworked. I ordered some sockets off Ebay while still on holiday -
hopefully they will arrive in a few days.
The essence of any radio amateur is technical motivation with
hands-on application; something that is emphasised in the
practical test for even the lowest level licence, that for
5-year-olds, the so-called Foundation
Licence (AKA Fools' Licence for obvious reasons *****).
Here we seem to have an example of the downright failure of
the training regime if a licensee cannot even wield a
soldering iron to replace something as simple as
a connector and must expect
it to be done by someone over a hundred miles away.
Like many _REAL_ radio amateurs who are concerned that
technical standards should be maintained, I refuse to QSO
with M3, M6 and M7 licensees but always state that I would
be more than happy to do so once they have acquired a proper
(now Full) Licence. (Most recently 2 days ago when an M7
licensee was assisting at a SK sale; nevertheless we
got on famously for I'm not against them as people
and it turned out that his good friend, the SK,
had also had such an attitude. I have no hatred
for such people for they have been merely misled
into thinking that they are radio amateurs when, in
fact, they are no such thing)
***** A grown adult with a licence that was targetted at
5-year-olds is surely a fool with a Fools' Licence?
For many years, both the written RAE and the 12 WPM Morse test
were passed with ease by otherwise-unqualified self-taught
14-year-olds, so such achievements by children qualifying
at the level of what is now the Full Licence call into
question why the Fools' Licence was ever introduced
after petitioning by the RSGB. What did the RSGB have in
mind by such petitioning, for it was not the good of
amateur radio in Brit.
Fuck off, Evans.
Fuck off, Evans, you demented, hypocritical twat.
The other tradition, besides technical motivation, is international
gentlemanly conduct; conduct that is so lacking in the above
poster that she or he is clearly no more a radio amateur than
is a Foundation licensee, and such a limited vocabulary of responses
as exhibited by the above poster is indicative of how far standards
are falling in our once jealously guarded privileged pursuit.
A pox on the Foundation Licence, its licensees and apologists!
PORN SLUR LEADS TO DOCK
--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Stephen Cole
2019-06-23 19:28:26 UTC
Especially if the polymath in question had at least reasonable vision.
However, expecting someone to rework a PCB if they have impaired
vision - to the point of being registered as blind- is somewhat
unkind and decent radio amateur would step up and offer to assist.
Brian, M3OSN, Old Chum, when in the past others have expanded on a story
in order to disambiguate a misunderstanding, you have been quick
to accuse them of concocting a lie in order to save face.
Unless you and your chums colluded by having previously whined about the
disabled getting into rallies early, your malicious claim only makes you
look even more petty and obsessed.
BTW, you seem to have got a lot of information from just 'headers'.
There's nothing malicious in bringing to the discussion your
previous pronouncements, pace that they themselves were always malicious.
I've never made any comments about the disabled being admitted
early into rallies, so are you making this up as you go along in
an effort to divert attention from your own behaviour?
As to obsession your own chronic repetitious remarks about
your usual suspects or rejects really take the biscuit.
As others have pointed out, it is your modus operandi to
sprinkle immature insults in every post that you make to
this NG; hardly in the gentlemanly tradition of amateur radio.
PORN SLUR LEADS TO DOCK